Wednesday, December 22, 2010

ALAS

I am posting finally :D I have taken photos of all my semi decent work from the first semester at New College. I can't put it all in one post but I shall begin now I think :) Very little of it is my style and my art class was an interesting experience for sure. I started out hating it because it was all about technical skills and left little room for creativity but I pushed through and did well in the class so all works out in the end :) Here's a bit from the first half of the semester. [The order of these sort of goes back in time from mid semester to beginning, click any to enlarge]

Collage self portrait, gray scale paper.

Planar analysis self portrait, charcoal.

Reductive still life, charcoal + eraser.

Additive still life, charcoal.

Origami still life, chalk.

Contour drawings, ink. (left: hand, right: itzkabouwa)

Males can be fun too (Left: ink, Right: Charcoal)

Ink <3

A chair dressed in striped cloth, ink.

Architectural study piece, ink and acrylic pain.
This piece was early in the year and expresses my distaste for the sterility of the art building as well as the curriculum at that point. The actual assignment was an architectural study, so I did one of the art building, then framed with with a colorful nature imposing.

First homework assignment, negative space drawings. Ink.

[more to come soon, I promise :) the next up are collages]

2 comments:

  1. These're awesome! I don't understand how people work with cut paper, but you did a really awesome job on the self-portrait one.

    Also, hi! I'm a friend of Austin's. I saw the portrait you did of him as a gift, and that it was pretty neat, so I thought I'd check out your stuff. I think it's pretty rad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for such a late response, I'm so bad about keeping track of my blog. Thanks so much :) I want to try more with cut paper, there are some different methods and I want to experiment a little more.
    Hi :) the little yellow one? I assume so.. I think that's the only thing that fits your description. Cool :) I'm glad you liked it. Thanks a lot :)

    ReplyDelete